Marji McCullough, ScD, RD, the American Cancer Society's strategic director of nutritional epidemiology, says human studies haven't yet proven what researchers like Chan have discovered in the lab: green tea's EGCG regulates and inhibits cancer growth and kills cells that are growing inappropriately (3)."
Add lemon (other citrus helps, but is not as potent) to your green tea, which is well known as an excellent source of antioxidants, to absorb 5x more of the tea's antioxidants. Read more about it's chemical effect ...
"All types of tea (green, black, and oolong) are produced from the Camellia sinensis plant using different methods. Fresh leaves from the plant are steamed to produce green tea. Green tea and green tea extracts, such as its component EGCG, have traditionally been used to prevent and treat a variety of cancers, including breast, stomach, and skin cancers, and for mental alertness, weight loss, lowering cholesterol levels, and protecting skin from sun damage.
Green tea is usually brewed and drunk as a beverage. Green tea extracts can be taken in capsules and are sometimes used in skin products.
What the Science Says [Tea, Especially Green: Rich With Antioxidants]
- Some evidence suggests that the use of green tea preparations improves mental alertness, most likely because of its caffeine content. There are not enough reliable data to determine whether green tea can aid in weight loss, lower blood cholesterol levels, or protect the skin from sun damage.
- NCCAM supports studies to learn more about the components in green tea and their effects on conditions such as cancer, diabetes, and heart disease (2)."
While MIRACULOUS green tea should NOT harm you if consumed as instructed, you should be aware that some research indicates POSSIBLE Side effects/ credible evidences:
- Dry green tea contains substantial amounts of caffeine which can cause nausea, insomnia, or frequent urination.
- FDA found very limited credible evidence for qualified health claims specifically for green tea and breast cancer and for green tea and prostate cancer.
- Similarly, FDA found no credible evidence to support qualified health claims for green tea or green tea extract and a reduction of a number of risk factors associated with Cardiovascular diseases.
- However, FDA approved Kunecatechins ointment (based on green tea) which is is indicated for the topical treatment of external genital and perianal warts.
Precautions/Interactions with other drugs:
Although green tea may be useful in prevention of some diseases, trials have shown that chemicals present in green tea may interact with few other drugs. Hence, people using these drugs should avoid the use of green tea especially when they are using these drugs.
1. Consumption of green tea, concentrated green tea extract, and other green tea products (such as EGCG capsules) be avoided for patients undergoing bortezomib treatment.
2. If green tea is consumed empty stomach, there may be chances of liver damage as observed in some research studies.
3. People detected with heart problems, kidney disorders, stomach ulcers, and psychological disorders should avoid green tea.
4. It's safe for pregnant and breast-feeding women to avoid the consumption of green tea .
5. It may inhibit the actions of adenosine, increase the effectiveness of beta-lactam antibiotics, reduce the sedative effects of diazepam and lorazepam, and use with aspirin may increase the risk of bleeding.
6. People should avoid green tea intake if they are receiving chemotherapy for prostrate cancer.
7. Consumption of green tea may prolong the effect of oral contraceptives.
8. There are several other drugs which may interact with chemicals present in green tea.
On the basis of the above facts it may be concluded that detailed studies are required to validate the claims made for positive effects of green tea and people should be aware of its interactions with other drugs (3)."
BELOW FROM: http://www.healthkicker.com/714915585/how-many-cups-of-green-tea-should-you-drink-per-day/:
"Drinking too much green tea can be really bad for you. However, it will take 6-10 cups a day to do any significant damage.